The project is ahead of schedule and will be completed mid May. The contractor is installing the curb and will be starting to pave next week. On Monday, May 1st (weather dependent), lane restrictions at the intersection of Talbot Street and First Avenue will be in place from 9pm until 7:30am the next morning to complete the paving of the intersection. Westbound traffic on Talbot will be able to turn northbound onto First Avenue, Eastbound traffic on Talbot will be able to turn northbound onto First Avenue, and Southbound traffic on First Avenue will be able to turn westbound onto Talbot Street, all other movements will be restricted.
Roads and Transportation Service Area
The City of St. Thomas is responsible for the construction and maintenance of 192 kilometres of roads.
Through cost effective and environmentally responsible means, the City creates safe and convenient passage for all users, provides an esthetically pleasing environment and ensures the longevity of the City's infrastructure.
Roads and Transportation Service Area provides ongoing maintenance on St. Thomas roads. Should you have an inquiry or would like to report a deficiency regarding any of the Roads and Transportation Services Area activities listed below, please contact Customer Service at email@example.com or by telephone at: 519-631-1680 and press "0". For emergencies during off hours please contact the emergency dispatch at 519-631-1680 ext. 4181.
From 3:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. and during weekends or holidays messages can be left on voicemail and a Service Request will be generated. For emergencies during off hours please contact the emergency dispatch at 519-631-1680 ext. 4181.
ROAD SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- Road surface maintenance (including - road inspection, road patrol, asphalt repairs, shoulder maintenance, asphalt patching, bridge surface, street cleaning, litter on road surface, crack sealing capital),
- Roadside maintenance (including - sidewalk inspection, sidewalk/curb/gutter maintenance, roadside litter),
- Safety device maintenance (including - pavement marking, street and traffic control signs, guidepost and guiderail maintenance),
- Winter maintenance (including - winter patrol, snow plowing, snow removal, sidewalk plowing and bus stop clearing, manual sidewalk, sanding/salting streets, sanding sidewalks, Municipal parking lots, spring cleanup, snow fencing),
- Fleet maintenance and operation
- Municipal parking lot maintenance,
- Special events traffic control
- Driveway Permits
TRANSPORTATION SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- Streetlight maintenance and operation (including - coordination of routine and emergency maintenance activities through contracted services),
- Traffic signal maintenance and operation (including - coordination of routine and emergency maintenance activities through contracted services),
- By-Laws & Enforcement
- City Animal Services
- Traffic and Parking By-law administration,
- Traffic control justifications,
- Traffic data collection,
- Traffic studies including Traffic Calming,
- Municipal parking lot operation (including - annual, monthly and daily parking permits),
- Overnight Parking Permits
- St. Thomas Transit Conventional service,
- St. Thomas Transit Parallel service,
- Transit Advertising Contract,
- Adult crossing guard operation,
- Taxi Cab licenses
SPECIAL NOTICES AND DIRECT LINKS
- Active Transportation
- Intersection Pedestrian Signal brochure,
- Pedestrian Crossovers
- NextBus Webpage Link,
- NextBus service call 226-212-0320 with the stop code for your next available bus,
- St. Thomas Transit routes, schedules - For general information call Voyageur Transportation at the downtown transit terminal 519-631-0001 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
- St. Thomas Transit Parallel Transit bookings - call Voyageur Transportation at the downtown transit terminal, 519-631-0001 from 6:45 a.m. to 6:45 p.m., M-F and from 8:45 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. SAT.
- Transit Advertising - call Sambrook Media Corporation 905-910-0044,
- Potholes and Trip hazards - firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at: 519-631-1680 and press "0"
Please be advised that construction will start on Elm Street from Centennial Avenue to east of Tyke Road for underground storm sewer installation. The construction will start on Monday, May 1, 2017 with traffic control and lane restriction in place until the end of May 2017. Please follow traffic control signs and personnel on site in order to navigate through the construction zone safely.
The City is excited to announce the Edward Street Road Rehabilitation Project will start in April. The Burwell Road Rehabilitation project will begin after Edward Street has been completed. Construction is expected to be complete in July 2017. For more information visit the Construction Projects page.
The Elgin St. Thomas Age-Friendly Committee is developing a community plan for residents of Elgin County and the City of St. Thomas. An Age-Friendly community is one where policies, services and structures related to the physical and social environments support and enable older residents to lead healthy, active lives and stay involved in their communities.
- 1 of 5
- next ›
How can we help?
A - Z
Pages in this section
- City Hall
- By-Law Enforcement
- City Clerk
- City Departments
- City Manager
- Contact Us
- Cultural Mapping Project
- Environmental Services
- Dalewood Drive Bridge - Class EA Study Information
- Gateway Project
- Road Construction FAQ
- Standard Contract Documents
- Ten Year Insfrastructure Capital Plan
- Drinking Water
- Engineering & Construction
- Operations Division
- Roads and Transportation Services
- Water & Wastewater
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Human Resources
- Mayor and Council
- Minutes and Agendas
- Ontario Works
- Planning and Building Services
- Police Building Background Information
- Select Committee for New Police Building
- Visiting Us