Driveway Permits

The City of St. Thomas requires residents to obtain a Driveway Permit as well as Right of Way Occupancy Permit when constructing a new driveway or widening an existing driveway. You do not need either permits if you are replacing or re-paving your existing driveway. Driveway Permits are issued at the Public Works Service Centre at 100 Burwell Road and are free of charge.  Right of Way Occupancy Permits are issued at City Hall on Talbot Street in the Environmental Services Department.  The cost of a Right of Way Occupancy Permit is $50.00 + HST for a total of $56.50.  If you are planning on Constructing a new driveway or widening your existing driveway, please review the information provided below.