The project is ahead of schedule and will be completed mid May. The contractor is installing the curb and will be starting to pave next week. On Monday, May 1st (weather dependent), lane restrictions at the intersection of Talbot Street and First Avenue will be in place from 9pm until 7:30am the next morning to complete the paving of the intersection. Westbound traffic on Talbot will be able to turn northbound onto First Avenue, Eastbound traffic on Talbot will be able to turn northbound onto First Avenue, and Southbound traffic on First Avenue will be able to turn westbound onto Talbot Street, all other movements will be restricted.
Child Care Vision
Our goal is to create and maintain a high quality, family-focused system that promotes self-reliance and local solutions brought about by collaborative community partnerships.
The St. Thomas-Elgin Ontario Works Guiding Principles
A primary objective is to ensure that families, child care providers, community agencies, municipalities and St Thomas-Elgin Ontario Works, work in partnership to ensure that children in need of child care receive appropriate and high quality care.
The child care service must focus on assisting families in need to achieve ultimate financial independence wherever possible. St. Thomas-Elgin Ontario Works expects parents to take responsibility and actively participate in ensuring their children receive appropriate, high quality care.
St. Thomas-Elgin Ontario Works in partnership with the Ministry of Children and Youth, will set clear performance standards for service providers and will support those programs, services and agencies that are effective and efficient and of high quality.
While operating within the Child Care Service Guidelines, programs and services that support the best interests of the child will be the ongoing priority.
Sensitivity to urban and rural issues, a variety of approaches, choice, and diversity of care, are the criteria for program and service development and support.
- Supports children and programs that foster early childhood development
- Focuses on positive early starts for children
- Develops programs, services, policies and procedures that are enabling for parents in need, to achieve financial independence
- Gives ready access to information, staff and services to parents and their children
- Is integrated with employment programs in order to eliminate barriers for parents working towards employment and financial independence
- Is local, personal, flexible, offer choices and respond readily to emerging conditions
- Supports children with special needs in partnership with appropriate agencies
Please be advised that construction will start on Elm Street from Centennial Avenue to east of Tyke Road for underground storm sewer installation. The construction will start on Monday, May 1, 2017 with traffic control and lane restriction in place until the end of May 2017. Please follow traffic control signs and personnel on site in order to navigate through the construction zone safely.
The City is excited to announce the Edward Street Road Rehabilitation Project will start in April. The Burwell Road Rehabilitation project will begin after Edward Street has been completed. Construction is expected to be complete in July 2017. For more information visit the Construction Projects page.
The Elgin St. Thomas Age-Friendly Committee is developing a community plan for residents of Elgin County and the City of St. Thomas. An Age-Friendly community is one where policies, services and structures related to the physical and social environments support and enable older residents to lead healthy, active lives and stay involved in their communities.
- 1 of 5
- next ›
How can we help?
A - Z
Pages in this section
- City Hall
- By-Law Enforcement
- City Clerk
- City Departments
- City Manager
- Contact Us
- Cultural Mapping Project
- Environmental Services
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Human Resources
- Mayor and Council
- Minutes and Agendas
- Ontario Works
- Affordable Home Ownership Program
- Child Care
- List of Programs
- Mission Statement
- Qualifying for Financial Assistance
- Social Housing
- Planning and Building Services
- Police Building Background Information
- Select Committee for New Police Building
- Visiting Us